THIS WEEK AT THE WOMEN’S CENTER
1) Brown Bag Lunch: A Conversation with Robin Ochs, renowned bisexual activist – Thursday, Sept. 30 at noon
Reading and discussing selected essays and passages from Robyn’s anthology, Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World, we examine women’s bisexuality in transnational and intersectional context. How does context affect experience? Which are shared experiences of bisexuality, and which are culturally specific?
2) Women’s Center Mentoring Program accepting applications: Applications for the Women’s Center 2011 Mentoring Program will be accepted until October 4. The program is designed for junior and senior women students with both clearly defined or unsure career goals.
We are also looking for OU alumnae, current and retired female faculty and staff, female graduate students and Athens area professionals and activists are eligible to serve as mentors.
3) Walk A Mile In Her Shoes Rally and March – Save the date! : The third annual Walk A Mile In Her Shoes will be held on October 10 at noon (Note the change from October 9) Look for upcoming registration tables at Baker Center and contact David Bly at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
4) Walk a Mile in Her Shoes: Empowering Men to Prevent Sexual Assault and Gender Violence Panel Discussion — Tuesday, October 5th at 7:15pm, Alden 319 (The Friends of the Library Room)
Rape, sexual assault and gender violence are often thought of as exclusively women’s issues. While being part of the problem, however, men are also affected and are integral components to preventing violence against women. Come and listen to the ways in which men can be part of the solution.
The panel will feature: Dr. Vincent Jungkunz, Dr. Julie White, LGBT Director Mickey Hart, and senior Liz Herron
1) Student Senate looking for interns to work on the Women’s Affairs Commission: Duties include providing information on violence against women, sponsoring Take Back the Night, working in collaboration with Academic Affairs to address curriculum related issues pertaining to women and much more. Contact: Victoria Calderon, email@example.com.
Student Senate is also looking for a Multicultural Student Delegate, Students with Disabilities Delegate and Diversity Affairs Chairperson. For more information contact Minority Affairs Commissioner Kayla Gaug, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Athens Birth Circle: Car Seats & Cloth Diapers — Wednesday, Sept. 29 from 7 to 8:30pm at the Athens Library
Mary McPherson of OUCOM and Brittany Dodd, a Child Passenger Safety Technician, will go over what car seats are best for what age, how age and weight limits work, installment tips, general pros and cons of types of seats, etc. Then Hanna Vorisek, mom of three, will give a presentation on cloth diapers.
3) Equality Ohio Panel Discussion – Monday, Sept. 29 at 6 p.m. in the Athens Community Center’s Multipurpose room (701 East State Street)
Want to make a difference LGBT rights in southeast Ohio? Come discuss how you can be part of the changes that are happening in Athens and southeast Ohio. Local invited guests include: Equality Ohio Rep: Michelle Wilson, Trans Ohio Rep: Sarah Wagner, PFLAG Rep: Amy Fugikawa Zaros, Ohio University LGBT Center Director: Mickey Hart and Special Guest Robin Ochs, author of “Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World.”