THIS WEEK AT THE WOMEN’S CENTER
1) Brown Bag Lunch: UCM: Center for Spiritual Growth and Social Justice with Melissa Wales – Thursday, Sept. 23 at noon
Melissa Wales, the Executive Director of (UCM) will speak about the mission and current programs of UCM and will also discuss its history and role in women’s rights, LGBT rights and anti-racism work
2) Women’s Center Mentoring Program accepting applications: Applications for the Women’s Center 2011 Mentoring Program will be accepted until October 4. The program is designed for junior and senior women students with both clearly defined or unsure career goals.
We are also looking for OU alumnae, current and retired female faculty and staff, female graduate students and Athens area professionals and activists are eligible to serve as mentors.
3) Walk A Mile In Her Shoes – Save the date! : The third annual Walk A Mile In Her Shoes will be held on Sunday, October 10 at noon (Note the change from October 9) Look for upcoming registration tables at Baker Center and contact David Bly at email@example.com for more information.
1) Student Senate looking for interns to work on the Women’s Affairs Commission: Duties include providing information on violence against women, sponsoring Take Back the Night, working in collaboration with Academic Affairs to address curriculum related issues pertaining to women and much more. Contact: Victoria Calderon, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Senate is also looking for a Multicultural Student Delegate, Students with Disabilities Delegate and Diversity Affairs Chairperson. For more information contact Minority Affairs Commissioner Kayla Gaug, email@example.com.
2) Breast and cervical cancer screenings – Wednesday Sept. 22 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Parks Hall
Breast and cervical cancer screenings and education will be provided by the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine’s (OU-COM)Community Health Program. Free Pap tests, pelvic and breast examinations, breast health education, and appointments for mammograms will be provided to uninsured and under insured women.
Appointments are required. Call 1-800-844-2654 or 740-593-2432 to schedule an appointment.
3) Calliope Feminist Choir Open Rehearsal — Calliope Feminist Choir will have two open rehearsals, Monday, Sept. 20, starting at 6 p.m. at Christ Lutheran Church, 69 Mill Street, Athens. All women singers are invited. Free childcare is provided during rehearsals and performances. Call 740-662-2022 for more information.
4) Research Study on female leaders in education – Oakland University’s Jennifer Martin is conducting a qualitative study on women leaders in education for the purpose of gaining insight into women’s unique experiences as educators (in K-12 and higher education). She is looking for women who work as leaders in education—either in higher education or in PK-12 education (and adult education), such as administrators, deans, principals, department heads, or informal leaders. If you are interested in participating, email firstname.lastname@example.org.